Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reflections on Age 30

So I have officially been 30 for 3 months now.  In all honesty, not much has changed, but I have definitely noticed some subtle shifts in things.  I want to state prior to the below list that I am not complaining about getting older (everyone I know tells me the 30's are the best), just wanted to share what I have noticed.

1.  First off, I am tired more often then not and need a good night of sleep all the time.  I used to be able to go to bed late and get up in the morning full of energy.  Now, I need to my full 7-8 hours of sleep and sometimes it's still not enough.  Compounded with this is the fact that any sort of long run now wipes me out completely.  I used to be able to do a long run on Saturday and then be out and about all day and night.  Now after anything longer then 8 miles and I need a nap to be any sort of productive.  It's brutal.  I would like to formally apologize to my mother for back when she was training for the Disney Half.  She would always complain how exhausted she was after her long runs and I never understood.  I understand it now.  Sorry Mom!

2.  I have noticed my metabolism is just not what it used to be.  I've always been pretty conscious of what I eat (healthy with definite unhealthy splurges), but recently I've seen that while I am eating the same things, my body is reaching to them differently (i.e. it takes less unhealthy food for me to feel crappy).  I don't know how to describe it, but I can just tell I am not burning calories the way I used to.  I'm really trying to make a more conscious effort to eat healthy and lay off the junk.  Before if I wanted something unhealthy I just ate it and knew it wouldn't make a difference in the long run.  Now, I know that is not the case.  If I don't make an effort and only splurge occasionally (and actually mean occasionally) it will catch up to me.

3.  Hangovers now last at least a day.  Back in college I used to never get hungover.  I did my fair share of  partying in college, but always managed to get up and make it to class.  I would have a bagel and coffee and be fine.  I didn't really start getting hangovers until I was living and working in NYC.  But even then I could go out and still be a functioning person the next day, albeit with a headache and lack of sleep.  But now, a hangover lands me on the couch for an entire day trying to muster enough energy to get something to eat.  It is rough.  I am glad I got my partying out of the way in college when my body could handle it and not be hungover!

So, like I said, I am not complaining.  Just thought I would share what I have noticed in my new decade.  I am actually looking forward to seeing what the rest of my 30's bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment