Thursday, January 2, 2014

Let's talk Dopey

We are officially 1 week from Dopey.  At this time next week, I will be 3.1 miles into my 48.6 mile goal.  I can't believe it's here already.

I haven't talked much about Dopey outside of my weekly training recaps.  Partially because I think if I don't talk about it, it's not actually going to happen (denial is my friend, folks) and partially because when I do, I want to go like this:

Image via
I am not going to lie to you, I am pretty terrified about what I am about to undertake.  Seriously, I just want to hashtag everything "whatwasithinking?".  It's a weird feeling.  I am terrified, but it comes and goes.  Really only when I think of the entire thing as one do I really have this reaction.

I just keep telling myself to trust my training.  So far, out of all of my Dopey training, I have only missed 2 runs.  I've had to make some changes and rearranged the schedule at times, but out and out, I've only missed 2 completely.  That alone should be a celebration, because that's a miracle (in my mind).  Being motivated enough to get all but 2 runs in?  Victory.

I've said it before, but I really feel this event is all about the mental game.  Mind over matter.  I know those last 6 miles are going to hurt.  They just are.  I know this is not going to be a PR.  I'm okay with that.  I think going into it with those expectations will really help me manage it.

How am I going to approach it?  One race at a time.  I am not kidding.  I am really trying not to think about the big one (the marathon) until after the half finishes.  There is no need to panic myself way far in advance (I say this, but be fully prepared for the moment when that freak out happens next week).

And race times?  Who knows.  I've always stated this event was never about racing.  It's about finishing and still being able to stand.  Now, that's not to say as I've seen my speed grow this year, I haven't thought about what it would be like to race it.  But I know that's not really feasible because my legs are going to hurt on Sunday.  That's what another marathon at sometime in 2014 is for.  I have no idea what times I am going to be running.  I plan on trying to run slower then usual for the 5K, 10K and Half and then just seeing how my legs feel for the full.  It's anyone's guess on how it is going to go.

I can tell you what I am thinking about so I don't think about Dopey - drinking my way around Epcot on Sunday afternoon (yep, it's happening), eating one of the chocolate macaron ice cream sandwiches in France (we had one at Wine and Dine and it was amazing), how excited I am to eat at California Grill Sunday night post race, eating at Be Our Guest on Monday and plenty of more things (mostly food and booze related).  Let's just hope they are enough to keep me from freaking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment