Friday, September 20, 2013

Book Club Friday: The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells

It's been a while since I linked up with Book Club Friday.  I wish I could say I had been reading a ton during that time, but I have to admit I just haven't felt like it lately.  I could not get motivated.  It took me way longer then I'd like to admit to finish this book.  But I did!  Hopefully my motivation is back now.

Anyway this week I am sharing my works book club selection - The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells by Andrew Sean Greer.

From Barnes and Noble: 
1985. After the death of her beloved twin brother, Felix, and the breakup with her longtime lover, Nathan, Greta Wells embarks on a radical psychiatric treatment to alleviate her suffocating depression. But the treatment has unexpected effects, and Greta finds herself transported to the lives she might have had if she'd been born in different eras.
During the course of her treatment, Greta cycles between her own time and alternate lives in 1918, where she is a bohemian adulteress, and 1941, which transforms her into a devoted mother and wife. Separated by time and social mores, Greta's three lives are remarkably similar, fraught with familiar tensions and difficult choices. Each reality has its own losses, its own rewards, and each extracts a different price. And the modern Greta learns that her alternate selves are unpredictable, driven by their own desires and needs.

My review:
Despite how long it took me to finish this book, I did enjoy it.  I liked the concept and that it was different from other books.  I enjoyed seeing each Greta's lives and how our Greta (the 1985 one) handled each world.  I kinda wish I could see what myself is like in different time periods.

The ending was a little unexpected too (at least I thought so) which I liked.  I hate when books are predictable!  I don't want to spoil it here, but if you've read it let me know.  We should discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment