Monday, March 24, 2008

Mt Penn Mudfest Recap

So, this weekend I ran the Mt. Penn Mudfest. It was interesting to say the least. It was much harder then I anticipated - the course was not like what I imagined. In some sections, it was more like hiking up a mountain - literally, you could not even run. Let me give you a breakdown of the morning:

8:15am - Put my stuff in the car, think to myself, its not as cold out as I anticipated, awesome.
8:24am - Pulling out of the driveway, I realize there are small white things falling from the sky. Yes, its snowing
9:35am - Pull into Rotary Park where the Mudfest is taking place and its still snowing. Also realize its only 28 degrees out. Begin to think I'm insane
10:05am - Waiting for the race to start, it starts snowing harder - think white out conditions
10:10am - Race starts in snow. Awesome.

The race was much more then running. At points, you were required to climb over or under fallen trees, around roots and rocks and through 4 rivers. I am not kidding about that last part. I knew there were "water crossings", but I assumed (foolishly), it would mean sticking your toe in the water, while you crossed on rocks. Nope. They were ACTUAL rivers. Like 5 feet weight and 3 feet deep. And no way to get across without getting wet. Nothing like jumping in a river in the snow :) Surprisingly, not as cold as I imagined it to be, lol.

Never the less, it was a lot of fun. Not sure I would do it again (at least not when its so cold out), but a fun experience. I took some pictures, so I will try and post them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment