Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Is it Spring yet?

Happy Wednesday everyone!  Depending on where you live, you may already have gotten or will be getting soon some kind of massive snow storm (basically the entire East Coast).  It hasn't started snowing in New York yet, but I know it will.  Is it spring yet?  I am so ready for spring.  Any who...

I'm back from another successful Disney trip!  I had such a great time at the Princess Half Marathon weekend and a great trip with my mom.  A full race report will be coming soon, I promise.  I've been back a week and am getting back into the swing of things.

While I had a great time at the race, it was by no means a PR for me.  Yes, I did stop and take pictures everywhere which affected my time, but even if I hadn't, I was no where in PR shape.  I knew I had been half-a**ing my workouts for a while now, but this race really hit home for me that I am not in the best of running shape.

So this week, I am stepping up my running workouts.  Going to start doing speedwork again and really focusing on cross training.  On the cross training side, I took a Refine class this weekend.  I'm not really sure how to explain a Refine class.  It's kind of like TRX.  You use a pulley system attached to a wall and kettle bells and other items for an hour of interval training.  Think lots of squats and lunges and the like.  It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say I really enjoyed it.  So much I am going to try and go once a week (I'd like to go more, but it's not that cheap and I am not made of money).  I was definitely sore on Monday!

And in terms of running, I am going to start adding speedwork (starting slowly since it's been so long since I have done it) with a 'B' goal race of Flying Pigs in May and then continue to build on the base I have been building with some more intense speedwork with a 'A' race sometime in the fall (not sure what that will be).  I am using a race plan for Flying Pigs I found through Nike and am doing some research for a race plan for the  all.

It's not going to be easy, my speed is definitely off.  But for the first time in a long time, I am excited to run again.  Might be because it is starting to get warmer or because I didn't do speedwork for a while that I am excited, but I am glad I am.  I even got up this morning for an easy run before work.  I haven't done that in so long (in all honestly, I actually can't remember the last time I got up and ran before work).  It felt awesome and I am excited to get back into the habit.

Tell me, how do you get motivated to run?

No comments:

Post a Comment