Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sometimes simple is better

While I was in New Jersey for the half marathon, I stopped by Carter & Cavero which specializes in fancy olive oil and balsamic vinegars (all imported from Italy).  After sampling (almost) all of them, I finally settled on a Meyer Lemon Olive Oil and Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar.  Coming back from the race on Sunday, feeling inspired by my athletic morning, beautiful weather and new olive oil/balsamic vinegar, I decided to make an easy, yet healthy and seasonal dinner: grilled veggies tossed with meyer lemon olive oil and caprese salad with strawberry balsamic.

I selected my veggies based on what looked good at the grocery store that day.  I ended up with green and yellow zucchini, green and red bell peppers and a sweet onion.  I also picked up an heirloom tomato and some locally made mozzarella for the caprese salad.

After rinsing and cutting all the vegetables, I drizzled them with the meyer lemon olive oil and grinded some course salt on top.  Now, living in an apt in NYC, I don't have access to a grill (which kills me), so everything was done via grill pan.  I made sure to rotate the veggies constantly since the outside of the pan doesn't get as hot as the center.

While the veggies were grilling away, I sliced my tomato and mozzarella and compiled my caprese salad.  I waited to drizzle with the vinegar until the vegetables were done so the salad was soaked in balsamic.

Such a simple meal that was delicious and healthy.  The flavored oil and vinegar really gave everything a different flavor and made the meal.  Can't wait to cook more with my new olive oil and vinegar.


PS - In case you are wondering...  Yes, it made a lot and no, I did not eat it all in one sitting (I had the leftovers for dinner the next day).

No comments:

Post a Comment