Monday, December 16, 2013

Training recap week of 12/9 (Dopey Week 14)


This week was rough.  Coming off my back to back long runs last weekend, my right hamstring was really tight.  I did stretch and roll (but I skipped the ice bath, which I probably should not have done).  I ended up taking it really easy on Tuesday so I could recover.  This was also the first week I really struggled with motivation.  I did not want to go out for my 8 mile tempo run.  My hamstring was still a little tight, it was cold and dark, etc, etc.  But, I forced myself to do it and, let me tell you, I was really glad that I did.

While being properly training for Dopey is of course incredibly important, I think more important is going to be the mental aspect of it.  And I think this week I pushed through it mentally.  I had the excuses in my head of why I could bail on it, but I made myself do it.  I am starting to feel truly prepared for this race - both mentally and physically.

Looking to next week, it will feature my last long runs and my first 4 day in a week schedule.  I am slightly nervous to do 10 and 20 back to back, but I know coming off my 9/19 miler last weekend, I can do it.  And then, after that, it's taper time!  Holy cow!

Monday
Scheduled: Rest or Cross Training
Actual: Rest

Tuesday
Scheduled: 5 miles easy pace (10:09 - 11:09)
Actual: 2.00 miles, 32:11, 16:13 pace

My hamstring was really tight and it was slightly painful to run, so I ended up walking for 2 miles to get some miles in, but still allow myself recovery.  

Wednesday
Scheduled: 8 miles tempo pace (9:09ish)
Actual: 8 miles, 1:16:55, 9:37 pace

My leg felt better, but I didn't want to push it too much.  As I said, I had some trouble motivating for this run, but once I did it, I was happy I did.

Thursday
Scheduled: 5 miles easy pace (10:09 - 11:09)
Actual: 5.00 miles, 49:37, 9:55 pace

Friday
Scheduled: Off
Actual: Off

Saturday
Scheduled: 13 miles long run pace (9:54 - 10:29)
Actual: 13.00 miles, 2:09:59, 10:00 pace

It was snowing during this run.  While snow can look magically, I don't particularly love running 13 miles in it.  It was also pretty windy.  I felt like I was in a snow globe for a large portion of the run.  

Sunday
Scheduled: Cross training
Actual: 3.00 miles, 31:24, 10:28 pace

I decided to make up the missed 3 miles from Tuesdays run.  I probably could have let them go, but I really want to get them in (see - motivation back!).

Total miles: 31.01
Total December miles: 77.79

No comments:

Post a Comment