Thursday, June 13, 2013

Morning runs

What is it about morning runs that I cannot get on board with?  I am getting better, but it is so hard to get motivated for them.

My schedule had me doing a 5 mile tempo run today and I knew with the weather report calling for heavy rain, I did not want to do it after work.  Plus, I have a some errands I need to do before leaving for SF tomorrow (and I still need to pack...grrrr, I hate packing), so I just knew it was not going to be possible for me to do it after work.

But when my alarm went off this morning, I could not get moving.  I snoozed until I could not anymore if I wanted to get my run in and I still had to cut a mile from the tempo portion (ended up 1 mile warmup, 4 miles tempo and 1 mile cooldown).  It was to the point were I was waiting for my Garmin to sync with the satellites and I was thinking to myself - 'If I went back to bed right now I could get an extra 60 minutes of sleep'.

I did it, but my paces were definitely a little off.  It probably didn't help that I (obviously) did not get up with enough time to eat something prior to my run so I was running on an empty stomach.  

I used to not be able to run in the AM at all, but I've gotten better and now it seems like just speed workouts are hard.  At least I can get my easy runs in in the AM (when I can get out of bed).  Since it seems I can run in the AM as long as my pace isn't a priority, I am going try to start doing them in the AM and see if I can train myself to get better at it.

But, at least I got my run in today (even if it was short)!

No comments:

Post a Comment