Friday, September 21, 2012

Book Club Friday: A Salty Piece of Land


Happy Book Club Friday!  This week's book was the one I read while I was at beach - A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett.

Synopsis
It's not on any chart, but the tropical island of Cayo Loco is the perfect place to run away from all your problems. If you're looking for a license to chill, come along as cowboy Tully Mars takes his pony to the shore-on an unforgettable Caribbean adventure as colorful and wonderfully bizarre as cocktail hour at your favorite expatriate bar.
From a lovely sunset sail in Punta Margarita to a wild spring-break foam party in San Pedro, Tully encounters an assortment of treasure hunters, rock stars, sailors, seaplane pilots, pirates, and even a ghost or two.
Waking from a ganja buzz on the beach in Tulum, Tully can't believe his eyes when a 142-foot schooner emerges out of the ocean mist. At its helm is Cleopatra Highbourne, the eccentric 102-year-old sea captain who will take him to a lighthouse on a salty piece of land that will change his life forever.
Once again, master storyteller Jimmy Buffett weaves a mesmerizing tale that combines both humor and emotional reflection. After all, one man's cathedral is another man's fishing hole. And in Jimmy Buffett's world, paradise is just a state of mind.
Review
I really enjoyed this book.  I thought it was a great beach read that wasn't a "chic lit" book (not that I have anything against chic lit - I LOVE it).  But this time I was in the mood for something different.  I have read other books by Jimmy Buffett (yes, the musician) and enjoyed them.  They are always about the Caribbean or living on an island or the ocean.  Perfect for the beach.

I have listened to Jimmy Buffett's music for as long as I can remember.  Think it goes back to jr. high/high school when we spend every weekend on our boat (yes, we had a boat - stories for a whole other time).  We always played Buffett.  Great summertime music.  To this day, I still put the Jimmy Buffett playlist on my iPod on shuffle as soon as it gets warm.  Just reminds me of summer.

Ok, so back to the book.  I don't want to give the plot away - but I did enjoy it.  Definitely has some turns I wasn't expecting and did keep my interest without being too heavy.  I was on vacation after all!

If you are looking for a beach read or just like Jimmy Buffett, I definitely recommend this one.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Jimmy Buffet had actually written a book. But if definitely seems like a fun summer-y book to pick up.

    ReplyDelete