Friday, July 27, 2012

Get excited...the Summer Olympics start tonight!


In case you haven't seen the above video - stop and watch.  Okay, with me now?  While I am a little sick of the song, I love that they had a little fun leading up to the games and shared it with all of us.  And the purpose of sharing this video is....

...it's time to get excited for the Olympics everyone!  The Opening Ceremonies are tonight - yay!

The opening ceremonies are always one of my favorite parts of the games.  I love the camaraderie of all the nations being together and the pageantry of the ceremony.  And I am most excited to see what they will do following the insanity that was the Beijing opening ceremony.  I think we can all agree that it will be hard to top that one, but I have a feeling London will do us proud.  

I also thought I would spend these upcoming weeks having "Flashbacks to Athens 2004" where I reminisce about my trip to the Olympics.  So, be prepared for some stories and photos from my trip!

Flashback to Athens 2004
One of the perks of working for NBC Olympics was getting access to all the venues before the games actually started.  I worked at the Olympic Indoor Center which was in the Oaka complex (pronounced 'o-wa'ka') which also housed the Olympic Stadium, Swimming, Diving, Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo, Tennis and Cycling (velodrome) venues.

One of the other perks - getting to watch the rehearsal of the opening ceremony.  Even with barely any of the stadium full and no athletes walking in the parade, it was still awesome.  We got to see it first.  And since I knew I wouldn't be able to watch it in person on the night of, I was more then happy to just see the rehearsal. 

No photo's of that night (camera's were banned at Oaka before the Opening Ceremonies and we actually saw someone getting there's taken for sneaking a picture).  I do have a photo taken by a coworker at Gymno (what we called the gymnastics crew) of the fireworks during the [actual] Opening Ceremonies from his hotel.  

I am also sharing a photo of me in front of the original Olympic Stadium from 1896 as well as some photo's of the Oaka complex.  

Go Team USA!  I will not be sleeping and watching as much as I can for the next 2 weeks.  
Olympic Stadium during the Opening Ceremony
Me in front of the 1896 Olympic Stadium
The Olympic Indoor Center where I went to work (and basically watched gymnastics all day)

Inside the Olympic Stadium
Part of the Oaka Complex with the Velodrome in the background
*all images original to sarah in the city, please don't repost without sourcing this site

No comments:

Post a Comment