Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Chicago Re-cap

Well, the Chicago marathon has come and gone. And let me tell you, it was one for the books. While I finished, it was most definitely one of the hardest things I've done. It was super hot in Chicago - so hot in fact that it was record breaking. Yup, record breaking. The temp reached close to 90 degrees. It was insane out. I just tried to drink as much water and gatorade as possible in order to stay hydrated. It was not an easy job. I was drinking 2 cups of gatorade at every station and pouring as much water on me as possible to stay cool. I was also putting ice in my hat to keep my head cool. The ground was un-godly hot. By Mile 17, my feet were on fire. And to top it all off, at Mile 23.5, the marathon was CANCELLED. That's right, cancelled. We were allowed to continue, but we're encouraged to walk. I still got to complete the entire 26.2 and cross the finish line. It was unreal. There were ambulances everywhere and people collapsed on the side of the course due to the heat. The heat just got to everyone.

I did finish, and I am very proud of it (especially considering the heat factor), but I do feel like I missed the true Chicago experience (although I won't be running there again for a while). Some of our team members weren't even able to finish! Ramon is organizing a team for the Philly marathon on November 18th for people who feel "cheated". I am seriously considering running it. Hmmmm. I'll be making a decision soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment