Tuesday, August 2, 2016

2 on Tuesday

It's my favorite time of every two years - the Olympics! I've talked about it a little before, but I love the Olympics. I grew up loving the Olympics and still do. Going to the Athens games was (without a doubt) some of the best weeks of my life. Yes, there are some issues with the system (athlete pay/support, issues with sponsors/non-sponsors), but I still love watching them and supporting the athletes. Oiselle has 3 athletes going to the games, including the awesome Kate Grace who won the 800M at the trials. So excited to cheer for everyone starting on Friday!


This weekend, I got to go to one of my favorite New York things - Shakespeare in the Park. I say one of my favorite things, except 11 years in NYC and this is only my third time going. In case you don't know what it is, it's a summer program The Public Theater puts on at an outdoor stage in Central Park. It's almost always Shakespeare, although occasionally they do non-Shakespeare (Hair made it's debut here years ago before moving to Broadway). Tickets are free and distributed day of to people who wait in line (from about 7am until noon when they give out the tickets).

Luckily, a vendor we work with is a sponsor and they have some tickets to distribute. So I got to go this past Saturday. The show was Troilus and Cressida. I had honestly never heard of it before, but it was so good. We brought some wine (you can bring in alcohol as long as its not in glass) and snacks and settled in to watch it. In the rain. Did I mention it was raining? It started light, but got so heavy they had to take a 20 minute break. But they came back and finished the show. And it really was so good. The staging was modern (modern clothing and furniture), but even in Shakespearean language, it still made sense. This also might qualify as one of the few times I have ever been to a show where the actors applauded the audience for sticking around in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment