Saturday, May 31, 2014

Race Recap: Expedition Everest Challenge Part 2: Scavenger Hunt

Don't miss my recap of the Expo and 5K.  Now on to the Scavenger Hunt recap!

Expedition Everest Challenge: Scavenger Hunt
May 3, 2014

When I last left off, I had crossed the finish line of the 5K.  Up next was the scavenger hunt.  Shortly after crossing, they had volunteers waiting to hand you your first clue.  You got a bottle of water and then your clue with a mini Sharpie and light.

Love the baby Sharpie!
After I tried to read clue #1 and run to the first stop, but since I was afraid I would break my neck, I walked while reading it.  Here is clue #1:

The answer was tied to your bib - the green flag was on the right side of the bib.  It took me a minute to get it, but once I figured it out I started running again to the clue stop.  It was located right outside the security gate for Animal Kingdom.  After telling the volunteer my answer, I got clue #2.


I have to admit this one stumped me.  So instead of trying to figure it out, I headed to the next stop first.  On the way to clue stop #2, I saw Donald hanging out where Chip and Dale had been during the run.  I decided to stop for a photo.  Loved the sailor outfit!


Back to the clue, I knew what I was looking for - numbers in the first clue - but I was still trying to figure out the whole thing when I heard some people next to me solve it.  The answer was 4 (which still doesn't quite make sense to me), but since I knew it, I told the volunteer and got clue #3.


This one was easy to solve!  I love these types of puzzles so I did it while I walked to the next clue.  On the way there, I stopped for a photo with Timon, who was hanging out where Rafiki had been.


At the next clue stop, I gave my answer and got clue #4.  This one was also pretty easy to solve since it was tied to clue #3.  I ran to the next stop and punched out the correct items.


Upon showing the volunteer I had punched out the correct items, I got clue #5 (the final one!).  This one was tied to clue #5 and was very easy.  


Just overlay clue #4 with the items punched out and see what it said.


That was the final answer!  I headed straight towards the finish line.  Right before the finish line, they had some volunteers and I had to hold up the answer to clue #5 - the number 4 (I just held up 4 fingers).  After I got approval on my answer, I headed to the finish line!

My final time (5K + Scavenger Hunt) was 49:44.  Took me about 22 minutes to do the Scavenger Hunt.  I ended up the 21st women and 7th in my age group (30-34).  Not bad at all!

Oh, and don't forget about the medal!  I have to say, this medal is definitely one of my favorites.  It ties into the theme of the race perfectly and is just plain fun!

Closed
Open

Even though the race was over, that doesn't mean the night was!  Up next, I'll share some of the post-race party!

No comments:

Post a Comment