Friday, April 12, 2013

"In a Pinch" Pasta Sauce

You know what is the worst?  Coming home from work all ready to make dinner and realizing you are missing a key component.  It's the worst.

It happened to me tonight.  I got home from work and was planning on making pasta for dinner (you know, a little carbo loading before my long run).  But alas, no pasta sauce. 

Fortunately, I had some left over crushed tomatoes from a recipe I made this weekend (recipe called for 7.5 oz, but I could only find a 14oz jar at my grocery store) to work with.  Sauteed some onions and peppers, added the crushed tomatoes plus some spices and let it warm up.  I wasn't sure how it would come out, but it was delicious. 

I served it over some quinoa pasta (which is gluten free and my favorite kind of gluten free pasta.  For the record, I do not like rice pasta).  I think it might even become my new go to pasta sauce.  Super easy and quick to make!

"In a Pinch" Pasta Sauce

Olive Oil
Onions, chopped
Red pepper, chopped
Crushed tomatoes
Italian Seasoning
Salt
Pepper

1.  Saute onions and peppers in olive oil to desired tenderness (I like my peppers to still have a little bite)
2. Add in crushed tomatoes
3. Season with italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat until warm throughout

The amount of onion, pepper and crushed tomato will depend on serving size.  Since it was just me, I used a palmful of both onions and peppers and 3 large spoonfuls of crushed tomatoes.  Spices are to taste (I need extra salt before long runs, so I put in more salt then most people probably would).

Enjoy!

pardon the bad photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment