Monday, August 27, 2012

Race Report: Providence Half Marathon


Last weekend was race number #26 in my 30 for 30 goal - the Providence Half Marathon.  I did this race last year and will admit (at the time) it was not one of my favorites.  The course is slightly hilly (although in my mind it was way hillier then it actually is) and it monsooned last year.  I mean, it literally downpoured the entire time.  Some parts of the course and 3-4 inches of water in it.  So needless to say, it did not have the best memories of any of my half's.

However, I have very different feelings about this race after this year.  It was great!  The weather could not have been more perfect (it was sunny, but not too warm or humid) and the course is beautiful.  I really feel in love with Providence during this run.  I came away totally thinking I could live there.

The course is hilly, but not nearly as bad as I had it in my mind.  There is a brutal hill at about 4.5 but otherwise everything is small rolling hills.  I do think the worst park is the finish line.  It is literally at the top of a hill.  You turn a corner, see the mile 13 sign and are staring straight up a hill.  I am not joking.  If you ever do the race - save a little bit for the finish!

As you know, I love a good race t-shirt and this one might be one of my new favorites!  The design is super cute and it fits perfectly.  Race t-shirts can always be hit or miss, but this one is a definitely hit!


As I've said, my training has not been ideal lately, but this race went incredibly well.  I went out there with a "we'll see what happens" mentality and ended up having a great race.  Finished in 1:58:10 for a 9:01 pace.  Makes me feel that my new plan of a 10:00 min pace for the marathon is right on target.  Combine that with this weekends solid 20 mile run (seriously, went much better then expected and in high humidity) I am starting to feel a little more confident in the marathon.  Going to really focus on getting my workouts in during the next 4 weeks before the race.

Speaking of the marathon... they released the elevation chart.

It's not too bad right?  Minus that hill that goes from about 12-16 (or 19.5 if you want to be really mean)?  I am trying to not really think about how hilly this could be and just take it for what it is.  Nothing I can do about it now, right?

This upcoming Saturday is race #27 in the 30 by 30 countdown - the Virginia Beach Half Marathon.  I must say, I am really looking forward to 5 days at the beach.  Basically, that is all I am thinking about.  I keep forgetting that I have to do a half marathon while I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment