Sunday, July 28, 2013

Race Recap: Queens 10K


Last weekend was the Queens 10K.  I ran this as part of a back to back race with Boomer's in preparation for Dumbo.  Even though Boomer's was changed to a 4M last minute, it still served as good practice for back to back races.

The Queens 10K took place out in Flushing Meadows Park.  Since this is a bit of a haul via public transportation, I was lucky enough to be able to get a ride with Pam.  She picked me up at the bright and early time of 6:30AM.  Ouch - it was an early morning!

We were able to find a parking spot pretty easily (yay!) and headed off to Race Central where number pickup (Pam still needed to get her number still) and baggage was located.

This was the first race I had done since they instituted the new baggage structure following Boston.  Previously at NYRR races, they just had an area for baggage and you put a number tag on your bag and dropped it off near your race number area.  Now, everything must be in a clear plastic bag and you hand it to a volunteer who places it and then you pick it up the same way.  Takes a little longer, but I totally understand the change.

After dropping off my bag, I headed to the race start.  It was a little crowded, but not too bad.  I think the trek to Queens was a bit much for some people for only a 10K (it used to be a Half).  After about 10 minutes, I made it to the start line.

Since I was using this as a long run and not racing it, I really tried to keep the pace easy.  The course was relatively flat (just a couple of very minor uphills) it was easy to not push it.  Even though I didn't feel like I was pushing it, my pace was still moving along nicely.  Long run pace is 9:29, but my pace ended up being 9:10 (according to my watch).  Makes me feel pretty good heading into Dumbo!

Results
Official Results: 6.2 miles, 1:01:45, 9:57 pace
Garmin: 6.32 miles, 57:56, 9:10 pace

Why the difference between the official results and Garmin results?  I did stop to go for the bathroom in the middle and I stopped my watch.  I normally don't do that, but I did this time.  That's the way it goes some times!

No comments:

Post a Comment