Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Race Recap: SF First Half Marathon

So this post is way over due!  Oops.  I was going to do it on vacay last week and then clearly did not. But wait no more, here it is!

PS - my suitcase arrived yesterday afternoon only 48 hours after my flight landed!  Yay.  I know you were all holding your breathe :)


SF First Half Marathon
June 16, 2013

State: repeat
Half: #35

The purpose of this half was to really visit my friend Vanessa and Meghan, so there was not a ton of hanging at the expo like normal.  We got in and picked up our numbers and got out (okay, picked up my number.  Vanessa was 13 weeks pregnant at the time and didn't end up running).  

The race started bright and early at 5:30am.  Our hotel was only about a 10 minute walk from the start.  It was pretty easy to get to (we stayed the Hilton which had a discount with the race).  It was quite beautiful at the start, still dark out with the Bay Bridge in the background.


I was in Wave 4, which started like 20 minutes after the start.  The start was well organized and went smoothly.  The first 2.5 miles were pretty flat... and then it got hilly.  Parts of the course were the same as the Nike Women's Half.  

At the top of the first big hill
I won't lie to you, the hills were pretty brutal.  Some were short, but some (most) were long (I hear the 2nd Half is not as hilly).  But I have to admit, running of the Golden Gate Bridge was pretty amazing.  The views were not that great (it was foggy), but how often do you get to run over such an amazing bridge?  

Starting my run over the Golden Gate
Heading back to SF
Another view on the bridge
Selfie on the bridge!
After the bridge, there was a big uphill followed by a nice downhill and then a slight uphill.  The race finished in Golden Gate park.  It was nice to be done!  They had a good selection of finishers food and Irish Coffees.  Gotta love a race with booze at 8am!  The medal is pretty sweet too.


After showering and getting ready for the day, we ended out for some yummy brunch in the Mission.  I had a delicious bloody mary and some chicken and waffles.  We went to Mission Bowling Club and I would highly recommend it if you are ever in SF.  

Yummy post run brunch!
Results
Official results: 13.1 miles, 2:07:48, 9:45 pace
Garmin: 13.29 miles, 2:07:50, 9:37 pace

Splits

Elevation

Isn't it lovely?


Anyone ever do the SF Second Half?  Should I go back and do that one next?

No comments:

Post a Comment