Monday, July 15, 2013

Training recap week of 7/8 (DLH / DDD Week 11)

Happy Monday everyone!  We've got another heat wave going on here.  Brutal.  I am trying not to complain since that won't change anything.  I'm just trying to move as little as possible.

This past week of training went pretty well.  This past week moved us from the speedwork portion to the strength workout portion.  Glad to be moving to strength workouts.  That means the end is coming!

Week of 7/8 (Week 11)

Monday
Scheduled: 5 miles easy pace (9:46 - 10:46)
Actual: 5 miles, 50:40, 10:08 pace

Tuesday
Scheduled: 4 x 1M @ 8:36 pace, 400m recovery
Actual: 4 x 1M, 7.03 miles total
Paces: 8:35, 8:37, 8:35, 8:32

First strength workout and felt pretty good.  Challenging, but not throw up inducing challenging.

Wednesday
Scheduled: Off
Actual: Off

Thursday
Scheduled: 6 mile tempo run at race pace (8:46 pace) with warm up and cool down
Actual: 7.73 miles - 6 mile tempo, plus warm up and cool down
Paces: 9:01, 8:38, 8:38, 8:47, 8:48, 8:47

Even with a warm up the first mile of the tempo portion was tough.  Seemed to take me longer then usual to warm up (even though it was hot)

Friday
Scheduled: 5 miles easy pace (9:46 - 10:46)
Actual: Off

Late night at work and was home late.  Had to skip this one.

Saturday
Scheduled: 6 miles easy pace (9:46 - 10:46)
Actual: 6.23 miles, 1:01:55, 9:56 pace

Sunday
Scheduled: 12 miles long run pace (9:29)
Actual: 12 miles, 1:56:40, 9:43 pace

Not quite the right pace, but it was hot out so I am pretty glad with how the pace turned out!

Total miles: 38.00
Total July miles: 64

While I only missed 1 run and the paces didn't go too poorly, let me tell you I was exhausted by Sunday.  I am giving myself today off (Monday) as my legs are killing me.  I feel slightly guilty skipping a workout that is on the schedule, but I keep telling myself that I need to listen to my body and that rest is important to my training.

I was also thinking about my schedule this week.  The one thing I do find strange about this training plan is that there are no down weeks.  Through every coach I've ever worked with, tri teams or training plans I've used, they always have down weeks.  This one doesn't.  It just keeps growing.  So I have decided to give myself a down week this week.  I am doing back to back 10k's this weekend and I'll be cutting back my weekday mileage too.  Still doing a strength workout and a tempo, just shorter. 

While I am sure the schedule has a method to it's madness and as much as it makes me feel guilty to change the schedule, I feel like I need to do what is best for me.  And what is best for me is taking some time off this week.

Does anyone else feel guilty when they skip/change their schedule?

4 comments:

  1. I feel guilty, but I try to remember why I skipped/changed it- you need to do what is best for yourself and only you know your limits. Better to be cautious than to injure yourself by pushing too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I am not the only one who feels guilty! It's hard, but I agree, only we know our limits.

      Delete
  2. Depends on my mood. . but usually, yes. I like to do what I say I'm going to do, but I'm also a lazy human :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I know that feeling! I have been so good about not skipping them, I don't want to get into that habit!

      Delete