Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Strawberry Balsamic Chicken

A couple of weeks ago, strawberries were on sale at my grocery store.  And they looked delicious.  So of course I bought some.  Probably some too many.  And while I love eating strawberries sliced and plain, I thought it would be fun to do something different.

My idea was Strawberry Balsamic Chicken.  Steam cooked chicken breast with a balsamic strawberry glaze to be served with some almond rice.  Well...my first try was a disaster!

I had no idea how much balsamic vinegar I would need to make a glaze and made way to much.  In addition, I wasn't sure how/when to add the sliced strawberries in and did it way to early and they absorbed all the balsamic and looked like little pieces of black death.

The over abundance of sauce drowned my poor little piece of chicken and was way to vinegar-y for me and the strawberries completely tasted like the balsamic. No strawberry flavor at all.  I ended up scraping a lot of it off to eat it.

Not to be deterred, I tried again a couple of nights later.  This time, I used significantly less balsamic vinegar for the glaze and cut it with a splash of lemon juice.  I threw the sliced strawberries on top right as I was serving.  This time it worked!  I thought the lemon juice cut some of the acidic taste of the vinegar down and since the strawberries weren't cooked in the vinegar, they tasted like strawberries!

This just goes to show you, if at first you don't succeed - try again!


No comments:

Post a Comment