Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country

After my Booky Wook, which was more depressing then funny, I was in the mood for something a little more lighthearted.  I'd heard only good things about Bill Bryson books and decided to make In a Sunburned Country my first from him.  It's a travel memoir about Australia.  I've always loved Australia and it is on my bucket list of places to visit, so I was excited to read this book.

Right off the bat, I knew I had made the right choice with this book.  Within the first 20 or so pages, I had actually laughed out loud.  On the subway.  In public.  Bryson manages to weave his personal adventures (or misadventures in some cases) with some historical background on Australia without getting too dry or dull (or sounding like a history book).  I found his writing style enjoyable and highly relate-able.  He travels throughout the entire country - it's major cities,  it's landmarks and throughout the Outback/empty interior.  While I kinda wish he hadn't focused so much on the animals/species native to Australia that could kill me, that was my only problem with the book (and only because sometimes ignorance is bliss).

This book has definitely only increased my desire to visit Australia and I will be adding more books of Bryson's to me 'to-read' list.

No comments:

Post a Comment